Hiring a qualified, experienced defense attorney as soon as possible is the most critical step anyone accused of a sex offense in Kansas can take. If you have reason to believe that you are, or will be, the suspect in a sex crime investigation, do not hesitate to contact a qualified attorney.
A skilled criminal defense lawyer will be able to properly advise you on how best to proceed in any area of sexual offense, including:
- Possession of pornography
- Child pornography
- Human trafficking
- Exploitation of a Child
- Sexual Assault
- Date Rape
- Statutory Rape
- Sexual Battery
- Lewd and Lascivious Behavior
- Indecent Liberties w/ a Child
Investigation of any of the above sexual offenses will begin when police receive a report of a sex crime. These reports typically occur when a victim or witness calls the police or when persons believing there may be sexual offenses taking place make a report.
How To Hire the Right Criminal Defense Attorney
Because the stakes are so high in a Kansas sex case, there is no decision more crucial to your future than which sex crime defense attorney to hire.
Time is of the essence, and hiring the right attorney can seem daunting, if not time-consuming. Here are a few key tips to get you started in the process of hiring the best lawyer to represent all of your interests.
Ask the right questions. Make a 2-column list with the headings “Experience” and “Resources” for each attorney you talk to. Under experience, write down the following questions:
- How long have you practiced in this jurisdiction?
- How many sex crime cases have you handled?
- What types of motions have you litigated in sex offense cases?
- How many cases similar to mine have you litigated?
- How much trial experience do you have in sex crime cases?
Under the “Resources” column, write the following questions:
- How and when do you prepare for trial in similar sex crimes cases?
- Do you have relationships with the local authorities?
- Do you have relationships with the prosecution?
- Do you have ample legal staff?
- Do you work with an independent investigator?
- What qualified experts do you work with?
- Are you willing and qualified to take an appeal?
The answers you receive from the attorney should make you feel confident and trust they are willing to fully advocate on your behalf. If you do not feel comfortable with the answers given you need to speak with another attorney.
The attorneys at Norton Hare have decades of experience in handling investigations and cases involving high-level sex crimes. For the first 5 years of his legal career, Attorney DeMarco worked for the Johnson County Public Defender’s Office defending clients solely on felony charges that included aggravated sodomy, aggravated sexual battery, and rape. He is intimately familiar with the unique evidentiary and legal issues that arise in sex crime cases in Kansas and with the people involved in law enforcement and prosecution of Johnson County sex crimes.